Aug 15 2019
CALGARY, AB… DJD is taking its acclaimed production Juliet & Romeo on a 10-city Canadian tour this October and November. The production, featuring the DJD Company of dancers and a four-piece band, played to high acclaim and sold-out houses at the 2017 High Performance Rodeo in Calgary and will make a return appearance at the 2020 Rodeo following the tour.
In this live music dance piece, inspired by the classic tale of the star-crossed lovers, DJD Artistic Director Kimberley Cooper has created a new world for the themes of love and violence to wrestle and play. Adapted by Cory Bowles, with original live music by the Nick Fraser Ensemble, this work gives new breath to one of Shakespeare’s best known and loved works.
“It is still recognizable, but not in the traditional way,” says Cooper. “I find this story to be so seductive and, because it is so well known that gives us permission to dive into and invent different ideas in or about the story. Past audiences enjoyed the twists and turns in the re-imagining of this passionate and tragic tale and we are looking forward to sharing it with audiences across Canada.”
The tour includes performances at:
- The Esplanade, Medicine Hat, AB | October 8 | Tickets
- Jeanne and Peter Lougheed Performing Arts Centre, Camrose, AB | October 11 | Tickets
- Living Arts Centre, Mississauga, ON | October 24 | Tickets
- Playhouse Theatre, Fredericton, NB | October 30 & 31 | Tickets
- Imperial Theatre, Saint John, NB | November 1 | Tickets
- Confederation Centre of the Arts, Charlottetown, PEI | November 6 | Coming soon!
- Spatz Theatre, Halifax, NS | November 9 | Coming soon!
- FirstOntario Performing Arts Centre, St Catharines, ON | November 14 | Tickets
- Rose Theatre, Brampton, ON | November 18 | Tickets
- The Grand Theatre, Kingston, ON | November 20 | Tickets
- High Performance Rodeo, Calgary, AB | January 16-26 | Coming soon!
Juliet & Romeo features dancers Scott Augustine, Cassandra Bowerman, Sabrina Comenescu, Jared Ebell, Jason Owin F. Galeos, Catherine Hayward, Kaja Irwin, Shayne Johnson, Natasha Korney (narrator), and Kaleb Tekeste. Original music for the production is performed by the Nick Fraser Ensemble: Nick Fraser (musical director, composer, drums), Rob Clutton (bass); Jeremy Gignoux (violin) and Carsten Rubeling (Trombone). Costumes are created by Sarah Doucet with set by Scott Reid and lighting by Brian MacNeil.
To learn more or to purchase tickets visit decidedlyjazz.com or call 403-245-3533.
Throughout its more than 30-year history, DJD has become well-known throughout Canada and beyond, as one of the only professional dance companies with jazz music and dance as its raison d’etre. DJD has created more than 60 original productions since its inception, many with live music.
DJD acknowledges the support of the Alberta Foundation for the Arts, The City of Calgary through Calgary Arts Development, and Canada Council for the Arts.