- This event has passed.
Call for Submissions: Foreign Relations- Artistic Residencies
November 16, 2020 @ 11:59 pm
Vertigo Theatre invites proposals from members of the Calgary arts community for Performance Residencies as well as Development Residencies. We are welcoming applications from any artistic medium which includes, but is not limited to: theatre, visual art, dance, music, film, etc.
**Please note any and all activities and performances must follow COVID -19 safety guidelines as regulated by the province of Alberta and the City of Calgary.
These residencies are intended for independent companies, collectives, or individual artists to utilize the Vertigo Playhouse or Studio for the staging of a live or online performance. These residencies can range from short-run ticketed productions (with social distancing and safety protocols as required) to work-in-progress showings that require technical elements (i.e: theatre performance, art show, live music concert, etc).
WHAT WE CAN PROVIDE FOR THE PERFORMANCES RESIDENCIES:
Up to a three week residency in Vertigo’s Playhouse or studio with house lighting, sound and seating plots.
Up to 30 hours with Vertigo’s Playhouse or Studio Technician for any technical needs or production support.
Box Office and FOH support for public performances can be provided based on needs of project
Requests for additional support and resources will be considered on a case by case basis, or can be provided at our Arts Partners rates.
These residencies are intended for independent companies, collectives, or individual artists to utilize the Vertigo Playhouse or Studio for script development, collective creation, or as a general creation space. These spaces could be used in a variety of ways depending on how the group or individual decide.
WHAT WE CAN PROVIDE FOR DEVELOPMENT RESIDENCIES:
The Vertigo Playhouse or Studio.
Up to 2 weeks (Monday-Friday, 9 am-5 pm) for development and general use of space.
A Vertigo Theatre representative to assist if needed.
Up to two evenings for invited showcase of work in-process, if desired.
Requests for additional support and resources will be considered on a case by case basis, or can be provided at our Arts Partners rates
We regret that we cannot provide accommodation or living subsidies for either residency.
- Up to THREE Performance Residency slots and up to THREE Development Residency slots available throughout the 20/21 season. The open residency dates are: January – June 2021
- *Date specifics will be discussed further with Vertigo Theatre upon selection.
APPLICATION PROPOSALS SHOULD INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING:
- Residency stream selection (Performance or Development).
- A short project description including a discussion of what stage the project is currently at; the artistic goal or line of enquiry associated with the proposed phase of your project; and a further, future goal for the project.
- A list of artists involved thus far. We understand not all artists may be finalized at the time of submitting.
- A brief outline of why Vertigo Theatre is a suitable partner for your work.
- A description of any technical needs you anticipate during the workshop.
- CV’s are not required. Applicants are encouraged to reach out to Vertigo to discuss their proposal in advance. Please contact Craig Hall at firstname.lastname@example.org and/or Kathryn Smith at email@example.com. We encourage applications from BIPOC, queer, disability/mad, and early career artists. Vertigo Theatre also acknowledges and supports the work of the 35//50 Initiative. This initiative prioritizes work that upholds the balance of projects having 35% BIPOC identified artists, and 50% women/non-binary artists/trans/intersex artists.
If these guidelines provide any barriers, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org and we would be happy to discuss an alternative application process.
Artistic Director Craig Hall, Associate Artistic Director Jenna Rodgers and Artistic Associate Kathryn Smith will be responsible for selecting the six successful applicants.
Please direct all enquiries and proposals to Kathryn Smith email@example.com by November 16th, 2020 at 11:59 pm. Successful candidates will be contacted by November 30th, 2020.