The Alberta Dance Alliance is a provincial arts service organization serving all dance individuals and organizations in Alberta. Our membership is open to all and we also serve the dance and arts community at large through our education, awareness, advocacy, and community outreach programs. Since 1984, the Alberta Dance Alliance has served the professional, educational, and recreational dance sectors through our mandate to foster and promote the appreciation and practice of dance in Alberta.
As a multi-faceted communications professional, you are responsible for developing creative and engaging communications strategies for the Alberta Dance Alliance. You are an out-of-the-box thinker with a passion for the dance and arts community in the province. You are a passionate brand ambassador and embrace the culture of all dance in Alberta.
The Communications Director reports to the Executive Director. Their duties include:
- Coordinating the general email account of the Alberta Dance Alliance to ensure timely responses and correct handling of incoming requests and information to be shared (Skills required: Apple Mail, triage of professional office email communication);
- Publishing a bi-weekly email newsletter (DanceLines) that includes editorial and community-posted content (Skills required: Mailchimp, basic HTML);
- Managing Social Media accounts (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube) for consistency between them and the organization’s website and email newsletter (Skills required: Familiarity with professionally integrating these four social media platforms);
- Maintaining the website by posting News, Events, Jobs, Calls, and Bulletins to the Alberta Dance Alliance Website (Skills required: WordPress Administration);
- Coordinating the internal office communications including postal mail, telephone, and related membership, programming, grant, and payable/receivable accounts with the Executive Director (Skills required: office administration, HR, PR, professional spoken and written English, French is an asset).
These essential deliverables are punctuated by your ongoing work in the following areas of our organization:
- Developing creative communications initiatives to deliver on our key priorities.
- Support our social media marketing to create engagement online through our networks with an appreciation of the user experience.
- Manage the ADA membership through our website supports.
- As part of our team, you will ensure consistency in all brand messaging and communications, both external and internal.
- Planning, writing, and/or editing a variety of communications materials, including web content, social media content, articles, etc.
- Support member communications, events, and engagement strategies.
- Adhere to the communications budget to ensure cost-effectiveness.
- Conducting market surveys and evaluations on current and new programs/campaigns to ensure all programming is results-driven.
- Monitor politics, trends, current issues, and demographic factors to capitalize upon awareness and advocacy opportunities.
- Monitor these factors to mitigate negative impacts on the dance/arts community.
- Writing press releases and media advisories, as well as key messages for media spokespeople.
- Supporting our Executive Director in the area of office programming.
- Set strategies for balanced dance news coverage for Alberta.
- Support strategies with stakeholder relationships that are vital for our community and members.
- Attending community and stakeholder activities that our organization provides to the community and to members.
- Responding to inquiries from the members, public or other organizations.
- You value working as a team and are willing to help other support duties as required.
A Day in the Life
Today the DanceLines eNews is scheduled for publication. By now you have posted the majority of incoming updates from the community that arrived via email since the last eNews or that you found while scouring our social media accounts for a sense of what our members are up to at this time. Thankfully, the posts that you’ve made (and those made directly by members) are passed with ease from our website to Mailchimp where you will then add additional editorial news and updated from the ADA office in coordination with input from the Executive Director. A current advocacy issue for dance has been brought to our attention and you must research information and resources locally, nationally, and internationally. You post this research on our website and also highlight, with your own journalistic composition including sources and resources, this issue within this edition of our eNews.
This week an organizational member in Grande Praire has purchased billboard ad space on our website and after tracking their purchase at a discounted rate you coordinate receipt of their artwork and issue them an invoice using PayPal. You are now adding their billboard image and event text to the top of DanceLines alongside three smaller ad-space announcements from a Ballet company in Edmonton that were already in place from the month before. You doublecheck our incoming accounts and social media while reposting some important tweets from funders and the community, and finally, add a new event that was just announced. After sending a test email to yourself and the Executive Director you will thoroughly review the information therein for correctness and consistency across all ADA communications platforms, link-checking as you go, and once satisfied, and no additional adjustments from the ED are mentioned, the eNews is then sent out.
In two-weeks time you will be going through this same process, and until then you will be updating the website, working with ADA members and the community at large to coordinate the delivery of our programs and services with assistance from the Executive Director and/or other ADA staff, while keeping an eye on things at the office (be that physically at the office or remotely).
- Hold a degree in Marketing, Communications, or Public Relations, or have the equivalent combination of relevant education and 3-5 years related experience.
- Have a wide variety of communications-related skills and would consider yourself a generalist in the field.
- Excellent writing and communication skills and proficiency in software and digital tools such as: Microsoft Office 365, Pages, Numbers, WordPress, Mailchimp and social media management tools. Experience with Adobe Creative Suite is an asset.
- You are comfortable in a self-directed manner and have strong organizational skills.
- The ability to multitask effectively and creatively.
- You thrive in a constantly changing environment and working within a small team.
Pay is negotiable, given experience.
Salaried, full time, flexibility for some evening, and weekend work.
Dental Care, Extended Health Care, Life Insurance, Vision Care
Work from Home Schedule
Monday to Friday (COVID-19 considerations: Our team is working out of the office three days a week, and two days a week from home).
Related: 3 years (Required)
Bachelor’s Degree (Preferred)
Provide your resume and cover letter with salary expectations to Bobbi Westman, Executive Director, Alberta Dance Alliance, via email email@example.com
We thank you for your interest, but only those candidates that are shortlisted will be contacted.
The ADA believes in supporting diversity and equity in hiring best-practices. We support strong policies to advance diversity, equity, and antiharassment in the organization.